fall out of 从…掉下;失去;放弃;不实行
Three baby birds fell out of the nest.三只幼鸟从窝中掉了下来。
As the language grows,new words are introduced and many words have fallen out of use.随着语言的发展,新词不断被采用,而许多词不断被废弃。
Bad habits are easy to fall into but not so easy to fall out of.坏的习惯养成容易而改掉难。
Now the Chinese people have fallen out of wearing long gowns.现在中国人已经不穿长袍了。
He had to fall out of smoking on account of his baby's health.考虑到他孩子的健康,他不得不戒掉抽烟这个习惯。
all round 在…周围;到处;全部
It was foggy all round.四周都是浓雾。
From all round we heard the laughter of children.我们到处都听见孩子们的笑声。
You're good all round. I haven't any criticism.你全都很好,我对你没有任何批评意见。
all the more 更;格外
He loved his wife and children,but he loved his country all the more.他爱妻子儿女,但是他更爱祖国。
I know you find the subject difficult, but that is all the more reason why you should work hard at it.我知道你感到这门学科困难,但这就是你更加应该努力钻研它的理由。
all the same 一样地;仍然
It's all the same to me whether he comes or not.他来不来对我都无所谓。
A heavy snow was falling,but we got there in time all the same.当时正下大雪,但我们还是准时到了那里。
all out 全力以赴地;好好地;
Think it all out before you start writing. 想清楚了再动笔。
They will go all out to get exactly what they want 他们将尽最大努力实现自己的愿望。
Again assuming that they can work it all out.再说,假设他们能好好地做出来。
allow for, 考虑到;体谅到;对…让步;供给;允许
You have to allow for the boy's age.你应该体谅到孩子的年龄。
Allowing for bad weather,we should set off at once.考虑到天气不好,我们应该马上动身。
The company will allow for extra expenditure next year.公司将考虑到明年的额外开支。
You'd better start earlier;you should allow for traffic delays.你们还是早些出发为好,要考虑到路上交通会有耽搁。
We must allow an hour for the meeting.我们必须留出一小时来开会。
allow of,容许;容得;有…可能
The facts allow of no other explanation.事实不容曲解。
His weakened condition would not allow of his being sent to town.他身体虚弱,已不可能把他送进城了。
allude to 间接或直接地说到
We looked at each other wondering whom he was alluding to.我们互相看看,不知道他指的是谁。
He alluded to his difficulties with his mother in law.他向岳母婉转地说起他的困难。
along with 与…一起
The girl went to the cinema along with her mother.那个女孩同母亲一起去看电影。
amazed at 吃惊
I was amazed at seeing him there.在那里看到他,使我感到吃惊。
amount to 总计;表示;有重要性;等于;有成就;发展为
The total income amounts to five thousand dollars.总收入合计五千美元。
Her words amount to a refusal.她的话等于拒绝。
What he said amounted to very little.他说的话无关紧要。
His suggestion amounts to saying that there is still room for improvement in the work.他的建议意味着这件工作尚有改进的余地。
I don't think such a man can amount to much.我认为这样一个人不会有什么作为。
If he goes on like this,he will never amount to anything.如果他一味这样下去,将一事无成。
angry at,/angry about; 对(某事)生气
The father was angry at what his son had done.父亲对儿子的所作所为非常恼火。
I was angry about missing the film at the cinema.没看成影院的那场电影,我很生气。
angry with 对(某人)生气
She won't be angry with me.她不会对我生气的。
answer back; 回嘴;顶嘴
Don't answer back like that.别那样顶嘴!
The child often answered his grandmother back.这孩子经常与祖母顶嘴。
answer for; 对…负责;保证;担保;因…而受罚;因…而受责备;起…作用;代表…讲话
You must answer for any missing articles after the party.你必须对聚会后遗失的任何物品负责。
Parents should answer for their children's behaviour.父母应对自己孩子的行为负责。
I can answer for his honesty.我可以保证他是诚实的。
I will answer for the truth of his statements.我担保他说的话是真实的。
He will have to answer for his crimes.他必须因他的罪行而受到惩罚。
Someday you will answer for your foolish behaviour.总有一天你将因你的愚蠢行为而受到惩罚。
That night the table answered for a bed for me.那天晚上那张桌子成了我的床。
Stop answering for John,let him speak.不要替约翰说,让他自己讲。
I can't answer for the other members of the committee.我不能代表其他委员的意见。